On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:40 AM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

> My intention is track the status of my top level view controllers and
> insert/remove these as required in the responder chain between the window and
> the window controller (rather than between views in the chain).
> That way I figure that actions and validation methods will always hit the
> view controller regardless of whether an NSView based first responder exists.
>
> Is this the best approach?

Yup. Been doing it for years. There was some code written by Cathy Shive and
Jonathan Dann to help with that called XSViewController. Don't know where the
original source is now, but basically it managed a tree of view controllers by
adding a parent-child relationship between view controllers, with the tree
attached to the XSWindowController. VCs could easily be attached and removed
from the tree and it would reconnect the responder chain correctly.

--
Seth Willits