On 8 Oct 2013, at 17:40, Seth Willits <sli...@araelium.com> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:40 AM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:
>
>> My intention is track the status of my top level view controllers and
>> insert/remove these as required in the responder chain between the window
>> and the window controller (rather than between views in the chain).
>> That way I figure that actions and validation methods will always hit the
>> view controller regardless of whether an NSView based first responder exists.
>>
>> Is this the best approach?
>
> Yup. Been doing it for years. There was some code written by Cathy Shive and
> Jonathan Dann to help with that called XSViewController. Don't know where the
> original source is now, but basically it managed a tree of view controllers
> by adding a parent-child relationship between view controllers, with the tree
> attached to the XSWindowController. VCs could easily be attached and removed
> from the tree and it would reconnect the responder chain correctly.
I think this might be a version of what you are  referring to:
https://github.com/catshive/KTUIKit/blob/master/Framework/Controllers/KTViewController.m

My implementation is simpler, using a couple of category methods on NSWindow to
patch in my view controllers.
However the tree implementation might be useful in future.

Thanks