The preferences file has always been considered an implementation detail. I'm
not up on all the reasons for the change, but you should be able to use the
'defaults' command line tool to do the same thing that trashing prefs used to
do. Something like 'defaults delete com.yourcompany.yourapp' should do the
trick.

--
David Duncan @ My iPhone