Technically, an iPad running iOS7 can run apps in iOS6 compatibility mode.

The keyboard is a dead giveaway.

It is similar to an original OSX upgrade from OS9, where some OS9 apps
could run within OSX under an OS9 compatibility mode. Or think of it like
running a windows app in Parallels on a Mac.

If an app is running in iOS6 compatibility mode, some of the controls you
will see (like the alert view) will look like iOS7 - but alas, an iOS6
keyboard showing up on an iOS7 device is a dead giveaway that the app was
built with iOS6 SDK ... which automatically runs on the iOS7 device in iOS6
compatibility mode.

The key, you must build your app with the iOS6 SDK. That means ... Xcode
4.3 ... or download an older version of Xcode and copy the 6 SDK into your
Xcode 5.

In general, not everything works perfectly in iOS6 compatibility mode - so
be sure and do some testing ... but for instance, it allows my
existing app<https://itunes.apple.com/tc/app/bliki-wiki/id623149294?mt=8>
released
May 2013 to continue to function and run on iOS7 devices without requiring
an updated binary from me.