Bad example - you should use the example between NeXTSTEP/Mach and OS X, which
the identical technology, library versioning, is used. (People do you still
remember that OS X derived from NeXTSTEP, to the extent that OS X 10.0 have
version number 4.0, picking up where NeXTSTEP left off, and this still count
till now like OS X 10.9 = NeXTSTEP 13?)

Also, there is no need of “compatibility mode” as library versioning will allow
that with a framework like this

UIKit.framework/
+ UIKit -> Versions/Current/UIKit
+ Headers -> Versions/Current/Herders
+ Resources -> Versions/Current/Resources
+ Versions/
++ A/
+++ UIKit
+++ Headers/
+++ Resources/
++ B/
+++ UIKit
+++ Headers/
+++ Resources/
++ Current -> B

The version A of UIKit library is what is shipped in iOS 6 (and before), almost
as-is. Version B is iOS 7 UIKit that have all the new bells and whistles.

The UIAlertView is somewhat special because it is not implemented in UIKit
actually, instead they are in SpringBoard.app which is a native iOS 7 app.
SpringBoard.app is (was, after some touch handling code got split into
backboardd) Finder.app and WindowServer rolled into one package.