Dear list,

I now have further information on this problem.

I used one of my DTS tickets and I’m now in contact with an Apple engineer. So
far it has not been too fruitful - I need to keep repeating that this is not an
iOS issue, but an OS X issue. Anyway, I did have one interesting interaction.
The engineer suggested I try a particular sample app. That turned out to be for
iOS, but I looked further for a PDFView sample app and found "PDF Annotation
Editor”. So I downloaded this app, changed the deployment target to 10.6.8, and
built it on 10.9 with Xcode 5.0.2. This app doesn’t exhibit the problem when
run on 10.6.8! The app is really simple, but I can’t see what’s different
between this app and the test app I made. This is obviously an old sample app
since it has .nib files. I wonder if that could be the issue?….

After some more work on this, and I managed to confuse the issue even more. I
had the Apple sample app "PDF Annotation Editor” working fine on 10.6.8 so I
then decided to try to break it in an attempt to discover why it works and my
sample app doesn’t. So I started trying to reduce the UI and the code until it
broke. After some reductions in the UI and their PDFView subclass it did break.
So I started putting the code and UI back (with undo) but I could not get it to
work again. So I downloaded the sample app again and changed the deployment
target to 10.6.8 and built again. It still doesn’t work on my 10.6.8 machine!

Something else: if one uses the context menu on the PDF view to switch to
single page mode (not continuous) then you can’t switch pages. There is no next
page. Maybe this is a clue? It seems that the PDFView doesn’t know that the
document contains more pages, but the scrollview somehow does.

Another interesting 'feature' - the thumbnail view in the sample app always
seems to work.

A mystery…

Surely someone else must have hit this problem - either I’m doing something
wrong, or anyone who uses a PDFView and builds on 10.9 with a deployment target
of 10.6.8 must hit this issue.

Hoping for inspiration…

Martin