On Feb 21, 2014, at 5:19 PM, Ron Hunsinger <listrep...@erstesoft.com> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Bradley O'Hearne <br...@bighillsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>> I believe it would be much more accurate to say that this is a fundamental
>> issue of whether OS X provides an app the ability to secure its content or
>> not. If the answer is that having an app on OS X is synonymous with having
>> the content it delivers  available to any other app on the machine, or other
>> machines, or copied and broadcasted anywhere and everywhere, then that is an
>> answer which has significant limitations to what types of use-cases OS X is
>> appropriate for, relating very directly to security.
>
> Have you considered running a stripped-down copy of OS X? That is, make a
> bootable disk image containing your app and enough of the OS to run it, and
> then booting off that disk image. The disk image would not contain a web
> browser, screen-sharing software, screen-capturing, or any of the features
> that are causing you problems. It could unmount (or prevent from mounting)
> all other disk volumes.
>
> I know it's possible: that's essentially how the OS X installers work. The
> installer mounts a disk image (copying it into a RAM disk), and boots from
> that, with the purpose being to allow the original disk to be completely
> erased and/or allow the previously running instance of OS X to be completely
> replaced in situ.

Well, yes, but Apple has the source code to OS X. There’s an important
difference in that users cannot simply just delete important OS components. In
some other operating systems (e.g Linux) everything works with packages and you
can simply uninstall packages that are not required, like web browsers and
networking capability.

Just because it’s possible for Apple doesn’t mean that it’s possible for us.
For example, how would you remove the WiFi network applet from the status bar?