On 14 May, 2014, at 9:55 pm, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> On May 13, 2014, at 9:20 PM, Maxthon Chan <xcvi...@me.com> wrote:
>
>> I am saying ignore the details of the format, treat certificates as binary
>> blobs or plain strings or whatever that is opaque, and let crypto API parse
>> it.
>
> And I am saying that’s naïve, at least where Apple’s crypto API is concerned.
> I’ve had to expend a lot of effort over the years to look at exactly what’s
> in those blobs to figure out the right formats, and sometimes write my own
> code to parse/generate them. (Apple’s code doesn’t support a lot of the
> formats, esp. not on iOS.)
>
> —Jens

+1. I'm with Jens that the crypto libraries are lacking in so many ways. In iOS
I feel they got 1/3 ported and instead of finishing the port, the OSX team just
deprecated what wasn't ported. I'm not really sure I expect that crypto example
to work much longer. They are truly horrible to work with.

If you ask a similar question to the original poster on any of the Apple
Developer Forums you'll be advised not to generate key pairs on a device but to
do it on a server (the advice will probably come from Quinn), that's what I
eventually did, at least it was supported and I wasn't trying to embed openssl
v ?.x.? in my code.