On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:21:13 -0700, Seth Willits said:

>TLDR:
>-----------------------
>If your app has a document type that may use the same extension as
>another app, you should override typeForContentsOfURL:error: because
>otherwise the existence of that other application on a user's system can
>break your app.
>
>This is a critical problem.

This is well known, and has been discussed on this list years ago.

I filed a bug back in 2007:

<rdar://5540833>
9a559: Denial of service; Launch Services changes UTI when new app arrives

>That's very unfortunate and frankly ridiculous because this means that
>the existence of another application on your system can break your app.

Yes, a malicious app could probably claim all sorts of UTIs, stopping other
apps from opening documents.  Then again, a malicious app could also delete a
bunch of files, so...

I've given up on it ever being fixed (like most everything in Radar).  But hey,
we're getting new cool translucent stuff! :)

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 s...@rogue-research.com