On Jun 10, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:

>> This is a critical problem.
>
> This is well known, and has been discussed on this list years ago.

Sigh. Wish I had been able to find anything on this topic when I searched. At
least I'm not crazy.

> Yes, a malicious app could probably claim all sorts of UTIs, stopping other
> apps from opening documents.  Then again, a malicious app could also delete a
> bunch of files, so...

It's not even about malicious intent. Coda obviously has no malicious intent,
but it breaks my app. I'd break Coda if it my app was installed before it.
That's just inconceivable to me.

> I filed a bug back in 2007:
>
> <rdar://5540833>
> 9a559: Denial of service; Launch Services changes UTI when new app arrives
>
> I've given up on it ever being fixed (like most everything in Radar).  But
> hey, we're getting new cool translucent stuff! :)

A 7 year-old ticket is extremely disappointing. I will file another.

--
Seth Willits