On Jul 11, 2014, at 00:24 , Shane Stanley <sstan...@myriad-com.com.au> wrote:

> Just seems a lot of work for something that doesn't strike me as an uncommon
> need.

In such a case, it’s also worth re-considering your UI at a higher level.

I wonder, for example, whether there’s an alternative that uses *two* text
fields. Put the file name in the ‘textField’ outlet field, and put the
extension in a separate but adjacent field. Use auto-layout to keep both fields
sized to their contents, and to keep the second field immediately adjacent to
the first. If that’s actually possibly, it’ll look like a single string when
not being edited, but will change the UI so that editing of the pieces is
separate. (Or make the extension field uneditable, if you don’t actually allow
it to be changed.) It might even be *better* than the old way. :)

Something like that.