Apologies in advance. I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but
my google-fu has let me down, and that which I can find is all iOS related. No
good for me as this concerns an OS X, non-App store app.

I have a reasonably well-developed free OS X app (i.e., by well-developed I
mean I've got a stable user base), and I'm now wanting to add extra features
that require purchasing a licence. This seems a common model, but I can't find
any guidance on exactly how do I generate and test for valid licence keys at
run time?

I'm assuming that I enable the added features by checking for a bool that tells
me whether a valid licence key exists in a plist file, but how do I check that
the licence key in the plist is actually a valid one without "phoning home"
every launch and scouring a database (that would seem to me to be both an
expensive and flawed method, but i can't figure out how else it is done)?

Any help or pointers to previous answers to a similar question much appreciated.

Phil