On 6 Nov 2014, at 16:53, sqwarqDev wrote:

I didn't understand this bit though:

If you do not need to encrypt a payload (as in my post) then I suggest making the license be just a serial number followed by a signature on that number (maybe include a short hash of the owner name)

If anyone can link me to a tutorial on how to create these signatures and hashes, that'd be really useful.

The blog post does give a step-by-step example of creating a hash of the owner name and then encrypting that with a private key (which is basically what a signature is).

Appleā€™s recommended API for the latter is documented here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/security/Conceptual/SecTransformPG/SigningandVerifying/SigningandVerifying.html

For creating a hash, you should probably use the CommonCrypto API. Googling for this returned a blog post by Mike Ash: https://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2012-08-10-a-tour-of-commoncrypto.html