Just a note that last year I used the face feature detection in iOS 7 and was
getting between 5 - 20 FPS for face detection, but never got great (consistent)
results with detecting if eyes were open or closed, mouth was smiling or not.
I seem to recall about 5 - 7 FPS on the iPhone 5s when we were detecting face
features and scrapped the concept of using it because of slow detection speeds
and too many incorrect results.

We tried pushing the computation off to the GPU and that actually slowed things
down.

Just one data point if you're looking in to this now.  I'm sure devices are
faster now, but how much, I can't say.

Cheers,
Alex