So quick to discount Stack Overflow. What they’re suggesting is simply how to
create a new object and define a new outlet on it that points to an object in a
quick way. Seems like a perfectly good answer to a problem to me, and my guess
is the OP might not have quite matched it up to the right question. Without a
link to the answer, it’s hard to tell.

My guess is the OP is experiencing a common beginners’ confusion about how NIB
files work and is creating a second object while all they want to do is really
just hook something up to an existing object in the NIB, likely to File’s
Owner. Creating a new object instead of using an existing one of course means
that all ivars get new (likely default) values, which would be completely
consistent with the observed behaviour of “everything going to 0”.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
“The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere...”
http://zathras.de