FWIW (and while we wait for Jerry to tell us what was in the missing screen
shot), I’ve abandoned the “offset it by 0.5 points” approach, in the last year
or two. I don’t necessarily have an unarguable justification, but my reasoning
runs along these lines:

1. For general drawing, when the thin line might be drawn along with
non-vertical and non-horizontal lines, the non-vertical and non-horizontal
lines are going to be antialiased anyway, so the mixture of drawing outcomes
(anti-aliased and not) looks wrong. You can’t eliminate the antialiasing in
diagonal lines, so you have to *add* antialiasing to orthogonal lines to get a
consistent appearance. It only looks really crappy when the pixels are really
big.

2. It’s not 0.5 points anyway, it’s 0.5 pixels. Now, it’s possible to find the
connection between points and pixels on any given device, but the whole
enterprise starts to fall down when the relationship isn’t 1:1 or 1:2. If the
pixels are very small, the perceptual results are not linear — not to mention
that the perception is affected by things like the sub-pixel geometry of the
screen. (Keep in mind that on the pixeliest new Apple displays, there’s a
scaling up AND a scaling down involved in going from points to hardware pixels.
With different scale factors.)

3. Seriously, at this point in history, non-retina is done as a technology.
There’ll be plenty of 1:1 screens out there for a while, but (I’d argue) it’s
hardly worth spending development effort on them. With 1:2 screens it’s already
somewhat questionable whether any development effort in pixel alignment is
necessary. With 1:3 screens — and how many months do we have left until that
becomes the mobile hardware norm? — I’d remove the word “somewhat” from that
claim.

Of course, there are plenty of specific scenarios — specific apps — where it
still makes sense to pay attention to pixels. But not for long, perhaps.