On Feb 15, 2015, at 14:29 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I did try that - but it doesn't show the icon, just a generic question mark.

For 3 or 4 years now, I’ve almost always been getting that question mark
regardless of how the icon is defined. :)

When I said “works anyway”, I meant I looked at an app where I’ve used the
asset catalog item reference, and peeked into the built bundle. The info.plist
has the name I specified manually, and the icons from the asset catalog are in
a .icns file of that name in the Resources subfolder. That looks correct to me.

(I couldn’t just say “document files have the right icon in the Finder”,
because there are older versions of the app on my system, so that wouldn’t
really prove anything.)