> On 2 Mar 2015, at 17:42, Quincey Morris <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Mar 2, 2015, at 02:44 , Ben <ben_cocoa_dev_l...@yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:ben_cocoa_dev_l...@yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> Since NSCell is apparently on the way out, I've been trying to build a new
>> control I need using views. It's a cut-down spreadsheet-alike grid
>
> I don’t see that anyone has yet asked the question of why the grid needs to
> have subviews. Implementing the rows and columns yourself means inventing
> your own duplicate API for managing them, but it’s likely not a lot of code,
> assuming you only need textual editing of one cell at a time (and can
> therefore use a single re-usable, movable text field for the editing).
>
> So, why can’t your spreadsheet-like grid be a single custom view that draws
> its own text and graphics in a grid-like pattern directly?
>
>> PS. I have tried using/subclassing NSTableView and have filed a bug for the
>> functionality that I'm after
>
> Purely for interest’s sake, can you tell us what functionality is missing,
> for your use-case?

I hadn't considered asking my delegate for text and images directly. That could
be a simpler way to do things - I will look into it.

The functionality that I'm missing is:

- Granularity of selection. For example single or multiple disconnected cells.
NSTableView only gives me row or column.
- Scrollable floating headers on both axis. This I did sort-of manage with
NSTableView by styling the first column to look like a header, but it was not
great.

Maybe I will have another look at digging into NSTableView again.