> On Mar 4, 2015, at 20:55, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Just a general question I'm putting out there...
>
> Now that NSScrollView always hides its scrollbars even when
> -setAutohidesScrollers: is NO if you have a trackpad, how does a user grab
> the thumb to drag it using a mouse?
>
> You can't see the thumb unless the bar is visible, and if it's not visible
> you can't click it. To make it visible you have to scroll which shows the
> bars, but only for a short time (< 0.5 second). This means that your only
> option is to use a scroll wheel or trackpad to make the bars show, then
> quickly click onto the thumb before they disappear. It's really hard to do.
> What if you generally prefer to use a mouse, even if there is a trackpad?
> What if your view is such that skimming through it by dragging the thumb is
> the most usable way to use it? What if the constant presence of the thumb on
> a very wide (or tall) scroll view is actually a really, really useful piece
> of information that would help the user even if they do have a trackpad?
>
> I can find no way to force my scrollers to stay visible unless I turn off the
> trackpad altogether (which overall seems like a completely unrelated thing).
> On a laptop it might be impossible to turn off the trackpad for all I know -
> I'm using a desktop with a magic trackpad attached, but I also prefer to use
> my laptop with an external mouse plugged in. There's no setting in System
> Preferences/Trackpad for disabling just this auto-hiding feature of scrollers
> which would solve it more elegantly.
>
> A case of missing the usability wood for the trees?

I'm not sure what you mean. I always set my machines to use the correct and
useful setting in System Prefs and I see the scrollers all the time when the
content is big enough to warrant them. Hiding the scrollbars was the worst
decision in a long time, as you can no longer glance to see your position in a
document/list/whatever.

Steve via iPad