On Mar 4, 2015, at 18:55 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> You can't see the thumb unless the bar is visible, and if it's not visible
> you can't click it. To make it visible you have to scroll which shows the
> bars, but only for a short time (< 0.5 second). This means that your only
> option is to use a scroll wheel or trackpad to make the bars show, then
> quickly click onto the thumb before they disappear.

This was a big problem on Mavericks (trying to scroll a long document in
Preview was a nightmare, whether mouse or trackpad). The problem is somewhat
mitigated in Yosemite:

— The behavior I see is that once the scroll bars appears, whether triggered by
the mouse scroll wheel or the trackpad, it stays visible as long as the mouse
pointer is moving. If you move the pointer towards the scroll bar immediately
after you start scrolling, it stays visible until you get there to grab the
thumb.

— There is a thicker version of the scroll bar, which makes it an easier
target to “grab”, if you’ve moved the pointer over it. However, I see that this
is only the behavior when scrolling from a trackpad. If you scroll using the
mouse, you always get the thick thumb if the pointer starts over the thumb
channel, but you always get the thin thumb if your pointer is elsewhere. (I
guess the rationale is that a mouse is easier to be precise with than touch?)

Anyway, I haven’t found the Yosemite behavior nearly as annoying. You just have
to discipline yourself to be decisive. :)

[The behavior I’m seeing is on a Mac with a mouse and a trackpad connected
simultaneously, and “Automatically” selected for “Show scroll bars” in General
preferences.]