The docs for creating a new app state that UTIs are case-sensitive:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/ConfiguringYourApp/ConfiguringYourApp.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012582-CH28-SW8

"However, unlike domain names, bundle IDs are case sensitive. If the App ID is
lowercase, your bundle ID needs to be lowercase, too."

My document type UTIs are generated in the Info.plist as:

com.armpitstudios.$(PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier).chest

And since they're based on the product name, the app name part of the UTI is
titlecased:

com.armpitstudios.Image-Chest.chest

This tends to match all of the Apple application UTIs I've looked at. However,
I've been seeing my file type UTI come in as lowercase when a document is being
reopened on launch, with the fileType coming through these NSDocumentController
methods on the stack:

makeDocumentForURL:withContentsOfURL:ofType:error:
reopenDocumentForURL:withContentsOfURL:display:completionHandler:

So, should string comparisons be case-insensitive when comparing UTIs? If not,
then things fail.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek