On Apr 13, 2015, at 12:33 , Steve Mills <sjmi...@mac.com> wrote:

> And this is correct for the fileType parameter of
> writeSafelyToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:error:? The docs don't explicitly
> say that fileType is a UTI, or which part of the Info.plist it comes from.
> We've just come to assume it's always a UTI these days. Or is there
> documentation that says so?

It was documented in the release notes for whatever OS X version added UTIs.
The fileType parameter in NSDocument API is *either* a UTI *or* an
old-fashioned string with an app-specific value. It depends on which form you
use in your document’s plist (“Identifier” field of the document info).

> $(PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier)

Personally, I always replace this with an explicit string on a project that’s
destined for public release. Part of it is old-fogeyism, because it annoys me
that the bundle ID might change without an explicit edit. Part of it is to
force it to lower case. But the main part of it is that once you’ve created an
explicit app ID in the developer portal, you don’t want to have to change the
bundle ID, *even if* you decide to change the product name in the Xcode project.

But that’s just me.