I am trying to solve a problem which seems to involve the first responder
for an NSWindow.

The NSWindow contains a number of controls and views, including several
NSTextField controls.
It is necessary to show or hide groups of these. These are all created
dynamically, rather
than with Interface Builder.

When a field containing text (created as an NSTextField) is contains the
cursor, it has
a blue(?) highlight box drawn around it. (We do not implement this, it just
happens). But
when the field is hidden, we would like the highlight box to go away.

In our oldest test system, 10.6.8, this is what happens - the highlight box
is removed when
the text field is hidden. But in our newest available test system, 10.10.1,
the highlight box
is left in place, only moving if we click into one of the newly shown
NSTextFields.

So, it seems reasonable to check, when hiding a field, whether it is
highlighted. This is
where I'm stuck. I use [NSWindow currentFirstResponder], but the value
returned is never
the NSTextView that I am hiding. It seems to be an NSText object, which I
didn't make.
Perhaps it is the [NSTextField currentEditor]. But this is getting into
guesswork. So...

1. Is there a more appropriate way to identify if a particular control has
what I would
loosely call "the focus"?
2. As a quick fix, is there a way to make sure this highlight box
disappears with the
control that it is (to my mind) attached to?

Thanks in advance.