On Apr 30, 2015, at 16:39 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> As I mentioned it’s the spinning busy indicator, which is always
> indeterminate.

The circular style isn’t always indeterminate, though (I forgot) it looks
different when it’s not indeterminate.

I just tried forcing an app with a spinning indeterminate progress indicator to
block its own main thread, and the indicator doesn’t stop animating, regardless
of whether usesThreadedAnimation is set.

> But when I click in the menubar, the main thread suddenly blocks as given by
> the stack trace in my previous message. It remains blocked until all of the
> pending operations complete.

My app also hits a breakpoint at _dispatch_semaphore_wait_slow when I click on
a menu bar menu, also in the middle of talking to another process via XPC, so I
don’t think that’s a cause of your problem.

Instead, I suspect you have a memory management error that’s corrupting
something. Or a thread safety error that’s causing this as a side effect.