On Apr 30, 2015, at 23:41 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> But if I leave it at the default, the same blocking problem is apparent.
> Logging the default QoS, I see it’s -1, which equates to
> NSQualityOfServiceDefault. Setting it to
> NSOperationQualityOfServiceBackground things are fine. Therefore at the very
> least the documentation is incorrect.

Look here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/Foundation/RN-Foundation/#10_10QoS

<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/Foundation/RN-Foundation/#10_10QoS>

It depends on the NSOperationQueue and the underlying dispatch queue. (Keep in
mind that these are beta release notes. I don’t know that there were ever any
final release notes for 10.10.)