on 6/24/03 2:29 PM Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Geoff Howard wrote:
>

>>>This is good news. I understand that it's very difficult, but I hope
>>>that it might be easier than you think, and I hope I can somehow help
>>>you in that. Anyway, given that you are the only one showing some
>>>interest, I'm starting to think that I'm just being paranoid...
>>

>>You are not being paranoid.  I have been uneasy about the forked rhino
>>code but  have kept quiet because I'm such a junior member of this
>>community, because I personally did not feel able (time or knowledge
>>wise) to help fix the situation, and because I am so behind on really
>>understanding flow and continuations.  But I think the longer we go on
>>building on this sand the more trouble we will be in when the inevitable
>>happens.  I for one am reading every word you two write.
>

> Thanks for supporting my position. :-) Just to make things clear, I want
> to stress that I have the highest respect for what Christopher has
> brought us so far: it's an impressive work, and it surely paved the way
> to a brighter future in web applications. I also fully understand his
> lack of resources/time to follow ATM the Rhino development
>
> However, I'm at a crossroads now: I have to decide wether limit myself
> to keep an eye on the flow or place a bet and use it for my daily job.
> Having such a core functionality rely heavily on an _unreleased_, _old_
> and _third party_ software (though quite stable) is refraining me from
> using it more seriously. I might even say that, while not blocking the
> beta, this might be considered a showstopper for a final release of the
> flow.
>
> What I'm trying to do, here and now, is help wherever I can: I lack the
> skills and knowledge to approach right now such hard core stuff, so I'm
> willing to do whatever I can to ease other's efforts. Succeeding in
> having the continuations code in the Rhino tree will be a major success
> and overhaul for the Cocoon flow. Even greater would be having a
> community ownership on the flow as a whole, including the javascript
> core stuff.

I can say I totally share your concerns and appreciate your words to
summarize it.

I also think that a direct development link between apache and mozilla
might open the door for even more exciting opportunities in the future.

And having the cocoon community pave the road for this, would be very
exciting from both a software development and community development
point of view.

--
Stefano.