I am new to C2 too, but keeping that in mind ... I always get this message,
when I did an inpropriate change to sitemap.xmap. Sometimes I also get this
message, when launching cocoon, but it goes away after it is started properly.

If there is a syntax error in your sitemap.xmap, the log will tell you some
lines above the exception.

Mariano