Thanks Guido,
I have now implemented the getLasModified() in the servlet.. arh ups  :)
which works like a charm if i do this:

   <map:match pattern="readXML">
     <map:read src="http://servletserver/genXML";  mime-type="text/xml"/>
    </map:match>

   <map:match pattern="test2">
     <map:generate src="http://cocoonserver/readXML"/>
     <map:transform src="stylesheets/transform.xsl"/>
     <map:serialize/>
    </map:match>

but if i try to do this:
   <map:match pattern="test">
     <map:generate src="http://servletserver/genXML"/>
     <map:transform src="stylesheets/transform.xsl"/>
     <map:serialize/>
    </map:match>

It seems the transformation get a blank document, so i get a "the root
element is required".

I can use the 1st so it is not really a problem, im just currious!
should the 2nd  not be possible.

Thanks alot. my pequest time time has been reduced from 10-15 to neglectable.
:))

cheers
JEsper