Konstantin,

Thanks for the link to the forest-dev thread.  I've
been going back and forth around the 1 vs. many files
issue for a while now.  I'm migrating my website from
JSP to Cocoon and looking for a better approach to
what I have at the moment.

My website does not use a database -- it's a pretty
simple site and I'm trying to keep it XML only.
Because of this I have a number of "business" entities
stored as XML records.  For example:

<person id="1" sex="male">
    <dateOfBirth>1923-08-09</dateOfBirth>
    <firstName>Alex</firstName>
    <lastName>Romayev</lastName>
</person>.

Currently I have a file per language, e.g.,
people_en.xml, people_ru.xml, etc.  This causes data
duplication (id, sex, dateOfBirth, etc) and
synchronisation issues when non-translatable data
changes -- basically the "people" in different files
effectively become different entities and you have to
work hard at keeping them the same.

The option of referencing the translatable elements
from the translation files seems really awkward you
still have your business entity scatted across several
files and it doesn't sound like translation of
elements outside context is a very intuitive task.

I'm leaning toward the third option, which is what
Sylvain was suggesting, i.e:

<person id="1" sex="male">
    <dateOfBirth>1923-08-09</dateOfBirth>
    <firstName lang="en">Alex</firstName>
    <lastName lang="en">Romayev</lastName>
    <firstName lang="fr">French Alex</firstName>
    <lastName lang="fr">French Romayev</lastName>
</person>.

However, it seems that it is not being favoured much
by the community.  Is there some other option that I'm
missing?  Also, you've mentioned that you had a
different version of I18nTransformer -- would it be
able to filter out language specific attributes?

Thanks,
-Alex

http://health.yahoo.com