That's excellent!  How would I get a copy of that?

> From: Alex Romayev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Konstantin,
>
> Thanks for the link to the forest-dev thread.  I've
> been going back and forth around the 1 vs. many
files
> issue for a while now.  I'm migrating my website
from
> JSP to Cocoon and looking for a better approach to
> what I have at the moment.
>
> My website does not use a database -- it's a pretty
> simple site and I'm trying to keep it XML only.
> Because of this I have a number of "business"
entities
> stored as XML records.  For example:
>
> <person id="1" sex="male">
>     <dateOfBirth>1923-08-09</dateOfBirth>
>     <firstName>Alex</firstName>
>     <lastName>Romayev</lastName>
> </person>.
>
> Currently I have a file per language, e.g.,
> people_en.xml, people_ru.xml, etc.  This causes data
> duplication (id, sex, dateOfBirth, etc) and
> synchronisation issues when non-translatable data
> changes -- basically the "people" in different files
> effectively become different entities and you have
> work hard at keeping them the same.

Yup.

> The option of referencing the translatable elements
> from the translation files seems really awkward you
> still have your business entity scatted across
several
> files and it doesn't sound like translation of
> elements outside context is a very intuitive task.

Yup.

> I'm leaning toward the third option, which is what
> Sylvain was suggesting, i.e:
>
> <person id="1" sex="male">
>     <dateOfBirth>1923-08-09</dateOfBirth>
>     <firstName lang="en">Alex</firstName>
>     <lastName lang="en">Romayev</lastName>
>     <firstName lang="fr">French Alex</firstName>
>     <lastName lang="fr">French Romayev</lastName>
> </person>.

To be exact, he were suggesting:

     <firstName xml:lang="en">Alex</firstName>
     <lastName xml:lang="en">Romayev</lastName>

> However, it seems that it is not being favoured much
> by the community.  Is there some other option that
I'm
> missing?  Also, you've mentioned that you had a
> different version of I18nTransformer -- would it be
> able to filter out language specific attributes?

Yes, the new version have inline translation
capabilities, e.g.:

<i18n:when locale="en">One</i18n:when>
<i18n:when locale="ru">oDIN</i18n:when>
etc.

It already works and probably this week I'll perform
some cleanup and
will
commit it (I need to synchronize it with the current
CVS, cause my
working
version is rather old).

Konstantin