Thanks for that - I did search the archives and found some messages with the same
error message as I had but none that I saw had a follow-up. I really did search but
until you understand the nature of the problem
better, it is difficult to know what terms to search on.  I do apologise for wasting
any of your time and thanks again.

I'll try Saxon. I'm not immediately certain how to install it with Cocoon but I'll
find out ! The journey is part of the fun.

Chris