Not sure what part you were concerned about, but I have been using
empty uri-prefix for my setup with no problems.  I am doing some
virtual host-type things with cocoon, so I have host matchers/selectors
in my main sitemap with patterns like *.mydomain.com that mount their
particular application with an empty uri-prefix.

Geoff