I'll second Bethany's point on many smaller vendors just now moving to IP
authentication. If it consoles campus IT tell them they are right....it has
been at least 10 years since I have been hearing that proxy servers are a
thing of the past, but that the working normal across most libraries is
IP/proxy authentication.

Best,

Jimmy

Jimmy Ghaphery
Associate University Librarian for Scholarly Communications and Publishing
VCU Libraries
804-827-3551
ORCID: 0000-0001-8043-7701 <http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8043-7701>