From: Code for Libraries <CODE4LIB@LISTS.CLIR.ORG> On Behalf Of Carol Kassel
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 11:31 AM
To: CODE4LIB@LISTS.CLIR.ORG
Subject: [CODE4LIB] A/V and accessibility

Hi,

We're working on a roadmap for making A/V content from Special Collections
accessible. For those of you who have been through this process, you know that
one of the big-ticket items is captions and transcripts. In our exploration of
options, we've found a couple of pretty good auto-captioning solutions. Their
accuracy is about as good as what you'd get from performing OCR on scanned book
pages, which libraries do all the time. One possibility is to perform
auto-captioning on all items and then provide hand-captioning upon request for
the specific items where a patron needs better captions.

This idea will be better supported if we know what our peer institutions are
doing... so what are you doing? Thanks to those to whom I've reached out
personally; your information has helped tremendously. Now I'd like to find out
from others how they've handled this issue.

Thank you,

Carol

--
Carol Kassel
Senior Manager, Digital Library Infrastructure NYU Digital Library Technology