> This is DBA 101 stuff here. [...]
> So "no" here doesn't mean it's not possible, and
> if they're as good as you say they are, it doesn't
> mean "we don't know how to".  By my reckoning,
> that just leaves "we don't feel like it"...

The Voyager ILS only comes with an Oracle "run-time" license, so
legally/theoretically customers don't have the freedom to fool around with much
of anything under the hood (so to speak).  Some Voyager customers work at
places that also happen to have University site-wide Oracle licenses that
(again theoretically) should trump the application run-time license and let us
do anything we want Oracle-wise.  However, even with that, any messing with the
underlying Oracle database is still a big bone of contention between customers
and the Voyager support folks, with the usual caveat that we will void our
support contract.  So you may find that there is a well-founded reluctance
among Voyager systems people to get too carried away with the DBA 101 stuff.
;-)

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington