Peter wrote:

Also, re: blog mirroring, I highly recommend the current discussions
floating aroung the blogosphere regarding distributed source control (Git,
Mercurial, etc.).  It's a fundamental paradigm shift from centralized
control to distributed control that points the way toward the future of
libraries as they (we) become less and less the gatekeepers for the
"stuff" be it digital or physical and more and more the facilitators of
the "bidirectional replication" that assures ubiquitous access and
long-term preservation.  The library becomes (actually it has already
happended) simply a node on a network of trust and should act accordingly.

See the thoroughly entertaining/thought-provoking Google tech talk by
Linus Torvalds on Git:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Thanks for pointing to this interesting discussion. This goes even
further then the current paradigm shift from the old model
(author -> publisher -> distributor -> reader) to a world of
user-generated content and collaboration! I was glad if we finally got
to model and archive Weblogs and Wikis - modelling and archiving the
whole process of content copying, changing and remixing and
republication is far beyong libraries capabilities!

Greetings,
Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany