Lets separate your argument into two pieces.  Identification and
resolution.  The DOI is the identifier and it inherently doesn't
tie itself to any resolution mechanism.  So creating an info URI
for it is meaningless, it's just another alias for the DOI.  I
can create an HTTP resolution mechanism for DOI's by doing:

http://resolve.example.org/?doi=10.1111/j.1475-4983.2007.00728.x

or

http://resolve.example.org/?uri=info:doi/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2007.00728.x

since the info URI contains the "natural" DOI identifier, wrapping it
in a URI scheme has no value when I could have used the DOI identifier
directly, as in the first HTTP resolution example.

Andy.