On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 14:28 +0100, Houghton,Andrew wrote:
>  The DOI is the identifier and it inherently doesn't
> tie itself to any resolution mechanism.  So creating an info URI
> for it is meaningless, it's just another alias for the DOI.  I
> can create an HTTP resolution mechanism for DOI's by doing:
>
> http://resolve.example.org/?doi=10.1111/j.1475-4983.2007.00728.x
> http://resolve.example.org/?uri=info:doi/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2007.00728.x

Note that in the first you have to EXPLICITLY name the identifier
encoding as doi=... Note also that this is your *resolution service*
doing this, not the identifier.

In the second example, the identifier is self-describing.  It says I am
a DOI (info:doi/) and my value is 10.111/bla-bla-bla.

So, I disagree that the two are of identical value.  The string doi does
not identify itself outside of your resolution service, whereas the info
URI doi does.

Rob