What you are saying is that you are suspicious of the HTTP protocol.  All
the PURL server does is use mechanisms specified by the HTTP protocol.
Any HTTP server is capable of implementing those same mechanisms.  The
actual PURL server is a community based service that allows people to
create HTTP URIs that redirect to other URIs without having to run an
actual HTTP server.  If you don't like its single point of failure, then
create your own in-house service using your existing HTTP server.  I
believe the source code for the entire PURL service is freely available
and other people have taken the opportunity to run their own in-house or
community based service.

Andy.