Ideally, though, if we have some buy in and extend this outside our
communities, future identifiers *should* have fewer variations, since
people can find the appropriate URI for the format and use that.

I readily admit that this is wishful thinking, but so be it.  I do
think that modeling it as SKOS/RDF at least would make it attractive
to the Linked Data/Semweb crowd who are likely the sorts of people
that would be interested in seeing URIs, anyway.

I mean, the worst that can happen is that nobody cares, right?

-Ross.