Karen,

I assume that MARCXML is one of those formats? As for MODS, that's possible although at the moment names would not be broken down. OL is working on altering its storage of names to include separate given and family portions, so that will be possible in the future.

Note that an initial MARCXML implementation will not be full MARC, in the sense that the OL record doesn't store most of the MARC fixed field data. In the case where the original input record was a MARC record, more work needs to be done to combine that original record with OL enhancements and export as full MARC.

kc

Coombs, Karen A wrote:
Karen,

I hate to say it but as someone who is working with the WorldCat Search API
at this point I sure could create code that used Open Library data faster if
you used one of the same metadata formats that the WorldCat Search API uses.
While the two services seem different, (I haven't really figured out how to
effectively search with the Open Library API) there is a learning curve just
working with different metadata formats. It would be good not to have to
teach my staff about another format if I don't have to. That being said, I'd
love to see MODS, that is if it is really good MODS where names are broken
out into their component parts (given, family) and roles are included.

Karen