Karen,

The Bio vocabulary might help with the birth/death dates:
http://vocab.org/bio/0.1/.html

And foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf

http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_isPrimaryTopicOf

might be a good way to relate to the wikipedia page.

I don't have any recommendation for alternate names (and would be
interested in knowing of any, myself).

All this isn't to discourage using the RDA vocabulary for any of this,
but my concern is that its complexity, lack of documentation and
kitchen sink approach will be daunting, especially for people coming
from outside the library domain.

I sort of look at RDA as the "ontology of last resort".

-Ross.