When you see these kind of errors:

Revista de Música Latinoamericana [weird characters instead of diacritics]

if you can look at the data in a web browser it can be used as a tool to help you identify the correct encoding. Web browsers usually render character sets based on whatever appears in this line in the HTML source:

meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"

but most browsers allow you to force a different character encoding, so if something is rendering incorrectly you can use browser display options to try to find the correct set. It would be under something like View > Encoding > (whatever). I find Opera to be great for this because I was able to add a handy button to quickly cycle through the most common encodings. Of course, web browsers in general might not grok MARC-8, but you get the idea.

Brian Stamper
The Ohio State University Libraries
Scholarly Resources Integration
610 Ackerman Road Rm. 5833