On 3/5/10 3:45 PM, Bill Dueber wrote:
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Houghton,Andrew<hough...@oclc.org>  wrote:

As you point out JSON streaming doesn't work with all clients and I am
hesitent to build on anything that all clients cannot accept.  I think part
of the issue here is proper API design.  Sending tens of megabytes back to a
client and expecting them to process it seems like a poor API design
regardless of whether they can stream it or not.  It might make more sense
to have a server API send back 10 of our MARC-JSON records in a JSON
collection and have the client request an additional batch of records for
the result set.  In addition, if I remember correctly, JSON streaming or
other streaming methods keep the connection to the server open which is not
a good thing to do to maintain server throughput.

I guess my concern here is that the specification, as you're describing it,
is closing off potential uses.  It seems fine if, for example, your primary
concern is javascript-in-the-browser, and browser-request,
pagination-enabled systems might be all you're worried about right now.

That's not the whole universe of uses, though. People are going to want to
dump these things into a file to read later -- no possibility for pagination
in that situation. Others may, in fact, want to stream a few thousand
records down the pipe at once, but without a streaming parser that can't
happen if it's all one big array.

I worry that as specified, the *only* use will be, "Pull these down a thin
pipe, and if you want to keep them for later, or want a bunch of them, you
have to deal with marc-xml." Part of my incentive is to *not* have to use
marc-xml, but in this case I'd just be trading one technology I don't like
(marc-xml) for two technologies, one of which I don't like (that'd be
marc-xml again).

I really do understand the desire to make this parallel to marc-xml, but
there's a seem between the two technologies that makes that a problematic
approach.
For my part, I'd like to explore the options of putting MARC data into CouchDB (which stores documents as JSON) which could then open the door for replicating that data between any number of installations of CouchDB as well as providing for various output formats (marc-xml, etc).

It's just an idea, but it's one that uses JSON outside of the browser and is a good proof case for any MARC in JSON format.

Thanks,
Benjamin

--
President