Exposing the records as Linked Data, rather than just plain old XML
would be an interesting demonstration of how the library world can
generate and, more importantly, curate massive amounts of data.  They
could then be linked to and from by other resources/services -- for
example linking a copy of a book on Amazon as an Item to the
Manifestation it's drawn from could allow for powerful graph oriented
search.

Rob