For our fed search service we very much echo Jonathan's real-time
requirements/use case (we don't build indexes, so bulk download is not of
interest):

access - real-time query (purpose - to enhance data about items found by other
means)
query - by standard IDs (generally this is "known item" augmentation, so
"discovery" queries by keywords, etc are not so much required)
data format - almost anything "standard"  (we can translate it into the
internal data model structure)
big value add - relationships, mainly the "upward" ones, towards work
data quantity - all details of directly related items, plus 2nd level links,
possibly all details all the way up to (and including) the work (this is a
trade-off of processing time on the service side to gather this information,
and on our side to de-construct vs. the time to set up and manage multiple
service calls to get the data about individual items in the link chain. In our
experience it is almost always quicker to get it "all-at-once" than to send
repeated messages, even if the total amount of data is less in the latter. But,
mileage may vary here.)

Peter