> To a greater degree, I think libraries ought to be putting into practice the
> principles of our profession against public domain works. Collection.
> Preservation. Organization. Dissemination. Take EEBO (Early English Books
> Online), for example. Why couldn't the library community create something
> like that? Why do we need to let Proquest own the theses and dissertation
> market? Our profession is still not exploiting the technology and the
> available content. Our Acquisitions Departments are really the Purchasing
> Departments. We seemingly think we need to buy our content in order for it to
> be valuable.
>
> --
> Eric Lease Morgan
> University of Notre Dame

Or, at least many of our administrators do. Many administrators seem
to follow the philosophy: "don't invest resources in building anything
locally that you can purchase from a vendor." Regardless of the value
(as determined by factoring quality and cost) of the product(s)
available for purchase.

Shirley

Shirley Lincicum
Frustrated Cataloger