On 25/05/11 02:36, Lovins, Daniel wrote:
Ralph, all,

Regarding the Wikipedia template for VIAF, haven't tried it myself, but I
believe the following syntax works: {{Authority
control|PND=119408643|LCCN=n/79/113947|VIAF=59263727}}

Based on description on this Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Authority_control

Excellent!

The page history indicates that it's an import from the German language wikipedia, thus the good support for German Persons, Corporations and Subjects.

I suspect that the template would get more widely used if it were discussed at https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM_getting_started (recently renamed from https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia:Advice_for_the_cultural_sector ) which is a canonical starting-point for libraries people.

The structure of the template is interesting.

Due to the way wikipedia works, the barriers to adding something to a page (in this case, a template) are much lower than adding a new page. So adding a new authority to the page should be relatively easy, providing it works in the same way as the other authorities already there.

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates