Esme, let me second Owen's enthusiasm for more detail if you can supply it. I think we also need to start putting these efforts along a "loss" continuum - MODS is already lossy vis-a-vis MARC, and my guess is that some of the other MARC->RDF transforms don't include all of the warts and wrinkles of MARC. LC's new bibliographic framework document sets as a goal to bring along ALL of MARC (a decision that I think isn't obvious, as we have already discussed here). If we say we are going from MARC to RDF, how much is actually captured in the transformed data set? (Yes, that's going to be hard to quantify.)

kc

Quoting Esme Cowles <escow...@ucsd.edu>:

Owen-

Another strategy for capturing MARC data in RDF is to convert it to MODS (we do this using the LoC MARC to MODS stylesheet: http://www.loc.gov/standards/marcxml/xslt/MARC21slim2MODS.xsl). From there, it's pretty easy to incorporate into RDF. There are some issues to be aware of, such as how to map the MODS XML names to predicates and how to handle elements that can appear in multiple places in the hierarchy.

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <escow...@ucsd.edu>

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
 argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt, 1783