From: Code for Libraries [mailto:CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Esme Cowles
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 11:22 AM
To: CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Models of MARC in RDF

I looked into this a little more closely, and it turns out it's a little more complicated than I remembered. We built support for transforming to MODS using the MODS21slim2MODS.xsl stylesheet, but don't use that. Instead, we use custom Java code to do the mapping.

I don't have a lot of public examples, but there's at least one public object which you can view the MARC from our OPAC:

http://roger.ucsd.edu/search/.b4827884/.b4827884/1,1,1,B/detlmarc~1234567&FF=&1,0,

The public display in our digital collections site:

http://libraries.ucsd.edu/ark:/20775/bb0648473d

The RDF for the MODS looks like:

        <mods:classification rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:authority>local</mods:authority>
            <rdf:value>FVLP 222-1</rdf:value>
        </mods:classification>
        <mods:identifier rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:type>ARK</mods:type>
<rdf:value>http://libraries.ucsd.edu/ark:/20775/bb0648473d</rdf:value>
        </mods:identifier>
        <mods:name rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:namePart>Brown, Victor W</mods:namePart>
            <mods:type>personal</mods:type>
        </mods:name>
        <mods:name rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:namePart>Amateur Film Club of San Diego</mods:namePart>
            <mods:type>corporate</mods:type>
        </mods:name>
        <mods:originInfo rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:dateCreated>[196-]</mods:dateCreated>
        </mods:originInfo>
        <mods:originInfo rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:dateIssued>2005</mods:dateIssued>
<mods:publisher>Film and Video Library, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0175 http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/fvl/FVLPAGE.HTM</mods:publisher>
        </mods:originInfo>
        <mods:physicalDescription rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:digitalOrigin>reformatted digital</mods:digitalOrigin>
            <mods:note>16mm; 1 film reel (25 min.) :; sd., col. ;</mods:note>
        </mods:physicalDescription>
        <mods:subject rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <mods:authority>lcsh</mods:authority>
            <mods:topic>Ranching</mods:topic>
        </mods:subject>

etc.

There is definitely some loss in the conversion process -- I don't know enough about the MARC leader and control fields to know if they are captured in the MODS and/or RDF in some way. But there are quite a few local and note fields that aren't present in the RDF. Other fields (e.g. 300 and 505) are mapped to MODS, but not displayed in our access system (though they are indexed for searching).

I agree it's hard to quantify lossy-ness. Counting fields or characters would be the most objective, but has obvious problems with control characters sometimes containing a lot of information, and then the relative importance of different fields to the overall description. There are other issues too -- some fields in this record weren't migrated because they duplicated collection-wide values, which are formulated slightly differently from the MARC record. Some fields weren't migrated because they concern the physical object, and therefore don't really apply to the digital object. So that really seems like a morass to me.

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <escow...@ucsd.edu>

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt, 1783